How to use the FocalScope ArchiveViewer
FocalScope's ArchiveViewer is used to view and filter emails contained within an archive file created by FocalScope's data archiving function. This article details the general use and filtering options of the ArchiveViewer as well as how to save archived emails as .eml files for viewing in other mail clients, e.g., Microsoft Outlook.
Downloading and installing the ArchiveViewer
The ArchiveViewer can be downloaded in the following location:
- In the [Main menu], select [Screen > Administration]
- Click the [Advanced Properties] tab (highlighted in red)
- Navigate to the [Maintenance > Data archiving] folder
- At the bottom of the right-hand pane, click [Get viewer] (see Figure 1)
- Download the installed to your desktop and run it to install the ArchiveViewer on your system
- Continued in next section...
Using the ArchiveViewer to view and filter archive files
To view emails in an archive file, you first need to start up the FocalScope ArchiveViewer and open the .db archive file in it (see Figure 2 below):
- Click [Archive > Open]. Once the .db archive file has successfully loaded into the ArchiveViewer, the message list will populate with the emails contained in the archive file
Once the archive's contents have loaded into the ArchiveViewer, you can filter emails using the search field (highlighted in red) and the filters (highlighted in blue).
Please note, the search box will automatically use wildcard (*) searches for specified strings. Whatever string you enter into the search box will be combined with any active filters, and matching emails will be displayed in the message list.Here follows a description of each filter:
- Sender - filter by the email address of the author of emails
- Recipients - filter by the email address to which emails were sent
- Subject - filter by the text in the subject line of emails
- Body - filter by the text in the body of emails
- Received - filter by the age and date range within which emails were sent and received
Please note, you can have multiple filters active at once. Simply click filters to activate / deactivate them.
Figure 2 - ArchiveViewer with loaded archive file
Saving archived emails as .eml files
- Double-click any email in the message-list of the ArchiveViewer
- In the message window, select [File > Save as email (*.eml)]
- Save the .eml file to your desktop for easy access
- Open the .eml file using Outlook (or any other generic email client that can read .eml files)