How to download, configure, and update the FocalScope Thick Client
The FocalScope Thick Client improves performance, reduces the resource drain on the system, and adds other time-saving features, such as drag-and-drop and global hotkeys. With all the advantages of the Thick Client, it is naturally recommended that you use the Thick Client whenever possible. This article will detail how the Thick Client is downloaded, configured, and updated as new versions become available.
If you do not know your computer's administrator password, please contact your IT department or system administrator to assist you in installing FocalScope. Please note: Administrators, be sure to use the msi installer package deployment method.
Please note: After running the installer, you can launch the Thick Client from [Start menu > FocalScope Desktop > FocalScope Desktop] and log into your FocalScope instance.
Downloading the Thick Client
Please note: If you receive any warnings about the file being potentially harmful or that the published cannot be verified, please disregard these warnings. The file is perfectly safe to download and run on your computer.
- Access the download page page on the FocalScope website: http://www.focalscope.com/fsdesktop/fsdesktop-current.exe
- At the prompt, save the executable file to your desktop
- Continued in next section...
Configuring the Thick Client
The following are the pertinent factors in configuring the Thick Client during and after installation:
- During installation of the Thick Client you will be prompted to enter your FocalScope instance URL. Please note: You would have received this URL during signup, and it is formatted as follows: YourInstanceName.focalscope.com. Simply enter the URL into the Thick Client, and click next to continue (see Figure 1)
- Please note: After running the installer, you can launch the Thick Client from [Start menu > FocalScope Desktop > FocalScope Desktop] and log into your FocalScope instance
- Login as usual with your FocalScope login credentials
Figure 1 - Entering your FocalScope instance URL
Should you need to change your FocalScope instance URL, do as follows:
- Locate the system tray icon once you've run the Thick Client (see Figure 2)
- Right-click the icon and select [Options]
- You can add a new FocalScope instance URL (highlighted in red in Figure 3)
- If you have multiple FocalScope instance URLs, you can select a URL from the list, set it as default, and connect to it (highlighted in blue in Figure 3)
Figure 2 - Accessing the Thick Client options
Figure 3 - Managing FocalScope instance URLs for the Thick Client
By default, the Thick Client will automatically check for updates, but if you wish to check for updates manually, you can initiate an update check as follows:
- Locate the system tray icon for the Thick Client and right-click it
- Select [Check for updates]
- If there are any updates, allow them to install and then continue using the Thick Client. There is no need to reconfigure the Thick Client after an update
Figure 4 - Updating the Thick Client