How to generate combined custom reports
Some FocalScope reports can be combined with other FocalScope reports to create more detailed reports that incorporate multiple report metrics. This functionality is very useful when you want to create overview reports that cover multiple aspects of your support and communications processes. This article details how you can combine the data from two different reports in FocalScope.
Generating the component reports for the final report
- Create a folder called Reports on your computer's desktop
- In FocalScope, generate two (or more) reports that use custom templates. (Click the [Live excel] button and save each report to the [Reports] folder on your computer's desktop)
- The separate report Excel files will be combined into one final report
Figure 1 - FocalScope Report Center
Please note: The User-Group.xlsx and Group Performance.xlsx are mere used for demonstration purposes. Your report files will have different names depending on which reports you generated.
- The [Reports] folder on your computer's desktop should now look like the example in Figure 2:
Figure 2 - Excel files in the Reports folder
Generating the final report
Please note: It is important that the [User-Group.xlsx] file be opened before the [Group Performance.xlsx] file is opened. In this example the [User-Group.xlsx] file serves as a dictionary for the [Group Performance.xlsx] file.
- Open the [User-Group.xlsx] file in the [Reports] folder
- Open the [Group Performance.xlsx] file to generate the final report
How the final report references the component reports
The primary component (and front end) of the final report is the Group Performance.xlsx report; the secondary component is the User-Group.xlsx report. The predefined pivot tables and charts are configured in the Group Performance.xlsx file. Both reports get their data directly from the FocalScope database, and the final report comprises of a combination of the data in both reports.
Please note: In this example the Group Performance.xlsx report references data in the User-Group.xlsx report using two custom data fields, as indicated in Figure 3:
- When I open an Excel live report I get an 'Access denied' error
- How to use Excel as a report front end for FocalScope 'raw' report data
- How to create new custom data fields in FocalScope-reports