FocalScope reports can be combined with custom Excel templates to give the users near-limitless options to create reports that make sense to them. The popularity and data-representation abilities of Microsoft Excel made it the de facto choice as the front-end for FocalScope reports. This article details how you can upload a custom Excel template and then export a FocalScope live report that conforms to the uploaded Excel template.
Please note: For a video tutorial of the steps in this article, download and play the the attached video How to upload a custom Excel template.mp4.
Preparing a new custom Excel template for a report
In order to use custom Excel templates with reports, the default report Excel template must be downloaded and modified as necessary. Obtain the default Excel template of a report by doing the following:
Please note: If you are simply uploading a custom template, then there is no need to download the default template first, and you can skip points 5 & 6.
- In the [Workspace] screen, navigate to the [Shared Items > Shared reports] folder
- Click the [Reports] tab (highlighted in red)
- If you don't have an existing report configured, create one as demonstrated in this article: How to configure and schedule a report
- Click the [Generate] button (highlighted in red) to generate the report and bring up the report download options
- Click the [Live Excel] button and download the default report by clicking the [Download Report] button (highlighted in red). Please note: This default report should be used to construct your custom Excel template that will later be uploaded to the report to be used as an optional export template
- Construct your Excel template pivots & charts as demonstrated in this article: Creating custom pivot tables for FocalScope reports
- Continued in next section...
Figure 1 - Downloading the default live report Excel template
Uploading a new custom Excel template for a report
After you've created your custom Excel template, you can upload to the corresponding report as follows:
- In the [Download report] window of the report, click the [Live Excel] button
- Click the [Browse] button (highlighted in red) and select the custom Excel template you created
- Wait for the yellow upload confirmation bar to appear
- Click the [Save] button (highlighted in blue) to associate the custom template with the report
- Now, whenever you generate the report, it will use the custom Excel template associated with the report
Figure 2 - Uploading a new live report Excel template